Thursday, February 19, 2015

Counting the Cost of Freedom

The lights in the room are turned off, music plays, lyrics flash on the screen in the room.
Twenty seven young men sit and watch as the words flash in front of their eyes:




I won't stay here another night
If I gotta sacrifice
Who I am on the inside
I'd rather be an outsider
And you can stay if you'd like
I'll see you on the other side
I wanna live the free life
I'd rather be an outsider [5x]


Yeah
Outsiders
I really can't tell if I'm over-dressed or I'm under-dressed
If I'm under-paid, or just over-stressed
If I'm cynical, or just over this
Cause I'm tired of trying to get over them
Man, it's over then, party's over
You probably couldn't tell that we over here, because you hardly sober
Double shots in that ego
They laughing at us, yeah, we know
Maybe at the bottom, but we not forgotten
The directors plotting that sequel
Till' then we live on the outside
And it might storm and we might die
But, I'd rather go where my fist high
Standing outside of your inside
I tried my best to fit in
Looking for a suit to fit in
Standing outside of your prison
Trying to find ways I could get in
Now I realize that I'm free
And I realize that I'm me
And I found out that I'm not alone cause' there's plenty people like me
That's right there's plenty people like me
All love me, despite me
And all unashamed and all unafraid to speak out for what we might see
I said there's plenty people like me
All outsiders like me
And all unashamed and all unafraid to live out what they supposed to be


Uh
I know what they asking for, I know what they asking for
But, how you gonna come and charge me, my life is sold, and then turn around and ask for more
Time to go, plus the line is long
I'ma color the outside, but lines a drone
If you wanna exclude me, for being the true me
It's Gucci, I already found my home
Homesick
Homeless, if I'm on this
Cause' my home is somewhere I ain't never been before
I'ma own this here gift, even if it doesn't fit in the box that'll bleed these folks
Some of ya'll don't need these quotes
I ain't tryna' eat, I'm tryna' feed these folks
Martin, Mandela, yeah, we need these folks
We believe these folks
We can be these folks
Yeah
But they want me to take an L
Tired of taking losses, so they can call me a failure
I failed at being you, but I'm winning at being me
I'm winning at being free, ain't no competition but me
See I realize that I'm free
And I realize that I'm me
And I found out that I'm not alone, and there's plenty of people like me
I said there's plenty of people like me
All outsiders like me
All unashamed and all unafraid to live out what they supposed to be
Outsiders!

You spend your time
So many lives
Turn on the lights
Open your eye
We'll be running through the night
It's brighter on the other side
Somethings bigger than You and I
Brighter on the other side [5x]


The lights turn on and they are looking at a fisherman of Jesus. His heart is full and his passion is intense. He is overwhelmed with love for the boys who are seeking the Christ, a Savior. He is not eloquent, he did not receive a Bible degree or any degree for that matter. He is like Peter. An entrepreneur, who left all he had to follow Jesus. When Jesus said walk on water, Peter said, “Yes Lord.” Peter was the only one of his followers who said yes. It is true with this 21st century Peter. When the Lord said, “Trust Me, Follow Me, Believe Me,” he said yes.



The young men listen intently, yet they are still young men. Giggles, phones flashing off and on, fidgeting, pushing each other to move, getting up to go to the bathroom, take a phone call or get more food. There are only males in the group. No young girls to distract them from hearing the Holy Spirit. I see them crowded around the room, on couches, laying on the floor, sitting on the fringes and realize they have become brothers. They are becoming a family. They are open and honest, they share their struggles and fears and weaknesses. They cry in front of each other, confess sin to each other, grow with each other.

They are learning how to be an Outsider. Learning how to Rebel against the world. They are multicultural, coming from very different backgrounds and experiences. Their hearts are torn into pieces from a life that isn’t fair. Many of them do not have fathers that are present. Raised by single moms or grandmothers, they long to know what a REAL MAN is. They are desperate, hungry for TRUTH. They want to be different. They want to be Men of Honor, Men of Character, Men of Integrity.



So the group grows. It started with 6 young men, 2 of which were our own. Some young men gave their lives to Christ at a football camp, but had no place to grow. The fisherman saw that they needed a place, so started a little Bible Study, called Real Talk. He gave them space to come as they were. Rough, cussing, drinking, smoking pot, having sex - young men, followed the fisherman to grow in their new found faith. That was September 2012. Those 6 young men were discipled and loved, and learned how to be a follower of Jesus. The next year, September 2013, the young new fishermen started sharing their faith with others. One by one new boys started coming. One by one young men gave their lives to Christ. One by one young men made a public profession of faith and were baptized. The group grew; in faith and in number.

Then, it happened. Something I used to read about in Revelation. Something that seemed so far off from my everyday life. Christians being beheaded for their faith. Twenty one young men, going about their lives, were abducted and brought to an ISIS camp for the purpose of terror and threat. They weren’t much different from our young men sitting in the youth room we meet in. Men, on their way to work, newly married, looking for a job. Men who were fathers, sons and husbands. They weren’t radical Christians, they were everyday Christians. Men, who went to church, who worked, who loved their families. My image of what the beheaded Christians looked like in Revelation was very different than what I saw on the news. They are us, just in another country. They were once new believers, walking away from the world and walking in faith in a country that denies it. They were Outsiders who died for their faith, who were killed simply because they loved Jesus.



I look around the room and see the two young men who just gave their lives to Christ this weekend. I wonder if they know how much it costs to follow Jesus. I wonder if they would lose their life for Him, knowing that they would spend eternity with their Savior. For these boys a beheading is far from their minds. But death is not. Just the week before another young life was taken by gangs. They are familiar with it. They know how short life can be. The fisherman reads Romans 12; Do not be conformed to this world, but renew your mind. For this group of young men walking away from the world, it is the biggest challenge of their lives.

They are learning to be Outsiders. They are beginning to believe that they are free, they are realizing who they are and that there are plenty of people like them, all love them, despite them; all unashamed and all unafraid to speak out for what they might see. Outsiders who aren’t afraid to live out what they are supposed to be.



And so, this group of Outsiders becomes a family. They stand outside the prison, door open and encourage others to follow them to the place where freedom is.

Please pray for our Christian men. They are being devoured by the enemy. Please consider partnering with what God is doing in our West Fresno/Easton area.




For more information about how you can partner with us call 559-776-9313

Or Go to our Facebook page and LIKE

Real Authentic Worship





No comments:

A Child Again

And when all seems to be going well, after years of trials and tribulations... The rug is pulled out from under us and we are on the f...